Sunday, March 1, 2009

Growing up


My dad had a 1946 Ford “Woody” station wagon. It had a ‘flat-head’ V8, bright red lacquer paint, ‘spinner’ hub caps and loud exhaust. The safest place in the world for me was dozing off in the back seat of that car and looking up to see the back of my dad’s head as he drove us from Grandma’s house in downtown Los Angeles to our home in the suburb of Baldwin Park. I didn’t have a worry in the world!

In the late 30’s and early 40’s, my mom was the Associate Pastor of the De Kalb, Illinois Foursquare Church and the Senior Pastor of the Sheffield, Iowa Foursquare Church. In 1985, Sue and I planted a new church in the Northwest part of Phoenix. I called my mom a lot during the early years of our new church for spiritual guidance and practical help. Her seasoned approach to ministry was an encouragement to me. That she was there when I called gave me a sense of security.

While we are young, God uses our parents and caregivers to bring safety and security to us. Everything they do is in preparation to release us to come into our own. After they passed away, my dad in 1976, and my mom in 1993, I had to drink deeply of the Security they had been pointing me toward my whole life. It was time for me to grow up!
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior;
my God is my rock, in whom I find protection.
He is my shield, the strength of my salvation, and my stronghold,
my high tower, my savior, the one who saves me from violence.
I will call on the Lord, who is worthy of praise,
for he saves me from my enemies. 2 Samuel 22:2b-4, NLT.
[1]

Some people have lived many years yet have failed to take responsibility for their lives. Norman Schwarzkopf said, “When you are given responsibility, take charge! And if you don’t know what to do, do the right thing!”

Begin now. Trust God as your Rock and Fortress and become the responsible person He intended you to be.

[1]Holy Bible, New Living Translation, (Wheaton, IL: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.) 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment