Friday, February 27, 2009

Let's keep our freedom

July 25, 2003

It was the spring of 1962 and I was a 14-year-old freshman at Phoenix Christian High School. A friend and I decided it was so beautiful out that we would take a vacation day that was not listed on the school calendar. If that was not bad enough, we decided to catch a movie at the Fox Theater downtown. At the conclusion of our unauthorized “vacation day,” my friend and I discreetly returned to the campus and found our rides home, feeling great that we had enjoyed the ‘pleasures of sin for a season.’ We made an agreement that we would not tell anyone where we had been.

Later that night at home, I thought about what I had done and became overwhelmed with guilt. First thing in the morning I made an appointment with the school superintendent and tearfully confessed to the entire ordeal.

My friend brought a note from ‘home’ explaining that ‘illness’ had kept him out of school. He was upset with me for confessing, but I felt relieved that it was out in the open.

Today, the “stakes” of being transparent and honest with one another appear to be higher. We ask ourselves such questions as “If they know the truth about me, will I still be accepted?” Or, “will people still respect me?” The older we get and the more responsibility we assume, it seems more difficult to be transparent and feel like we retain the respect of our peers and people over which we have authority. Many arrive at the conclusion that it is just too difficult to maintain a lifestyle of openness and transparency.

Being open and honest is important regardless of our age. In recent years, prominent leaders, who have not nurtured transparent and honest relationships, have had their worlds come crashing in on them. I can assure you the stakes of not being honest and transparent are much higher.

I don’t suggest we publish our shortcomings in the church bulletin, but I do suggest we find people who love us and are committed to us and that we can be open and transparent with.

Things left hidden and not dealt with keep us tied down. Keeping issues concealed will produce guilt and bondage in our lives. The freedom of forgiveness begins with openness and honesty.

I want to keep my freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment